Monday, March 17, 2008

the sky far beyond my outstretched fingertips...

Even though I grew up in a really small place and haven't gone outside the southeastern US besides that semester in Japan, I've felt really aware of the world around me lately. I feel like I've been talking too much about Japan lately too...sorry about that. I'm not sure why that place intrigues me so much. I think it's the politeness intertwined with the language, how easier it is to express emotion in Japanese, the offbeat humor...

...It's definitely not the food, I know that much. To be honest, to me, most of it is just okay or makes me go "eww...."

I'd really like to travel the world someday. I want to go to Europe, Australia, Peru, maybe South Africa...I think it'd be cool if I could say someday, "I've been to every continent." But seeing as how that would require a lot of money...that may not happen. But maybe I can go to one or two of those places before I die. I hope so.

I would like to learn more languages too- maybe dust off my Spanish, Arabic, French...Swahili, maybe? First, though, I want to get fluent in Japanese. I think it'd be nice to sit down with a person from a different culture and talk about our different lives in that person's native language. I want to be able to share stories without a language barrier- that's one of my lifetime goals, I believe.

I want a goal to work toward. I want to do my best, even if I sweat and bleed, to work towards something with all I have for something that I want with all my heart. Even if I never actually make it, if I see myself getting closer, won't that be fulfilling somehow...?

...I want to start cooking again. I want to learn new dishes and stand over a hot stove and proudly display the fruits of my labor. I kinda miss it.

I keep telling my sister I'll take her to Japan with me next time I go, and I'll translate. I think that would be fun. But I think I'd really just like to go to a foreign country with her someday...hopefully we'll have matured enough to not kill each other because we'd be spending so much time together.

Honestly...I really want to grow out of that.

No comments: