Friday, September 07, 2007

It seems as though school never really ends, does it...?

I think the thing I like the most about meeting new people is learning from them. I'm not just talking about the really smart people who seem to be overflowing with information and open up whole new worlds for you. I think each of my friends especially have taught me something- how to be stronger, how to give selflessly, how to be concerned with other things than myself, how to be able to laugh at myself, how to find joy in the simple beauty of God's creation...the list goes on and on. And it's not like these people (except in a few cases) actually sat me down and schooled me. It's through actions, through the relating of their experiences. No, I'm not daydreaming when you're talking to me, even though I'm not saying much. Even the little things are things that I take into myself, good or bad. I'm weighing them, learning about my friends, the world around us, and about myself. And you will probably either find that interesting or be scared out of your mind, cause you've been saying all kinds of stuff in my presence...then again, those closest to me probably know this and don't care *coughLOUcough*. It's not like if you complain about your crazy professor or say something I don't quite agree with, I automatically think less of you for it, though. Everyone has bad days, and if the whole world was in agreement, it'd be a heck of a lot less complicated than it is now. In fact, I seem to gravitate to the people who have the courage to say things that aren't always safe. But yeah, what you're saying, even if in jest, is how a lot of people are making their conclusions about you, some more than others. I don't know about you, but that scares the crap out of me. Probably why I don't talk a lot...but even silence causes people to make conclusions about you.

...Well, that sucks. You just can't win, can you? But I digress.

One of those (often corny) ice-breaker questions goes: "What makes more of a difference to you- what is said or how it's said?" I gotta admit, how it's said is pretty important to me (a smile covers a multitude of sins, so sayeth Dale Carnegie, and it's so true to me), but what is said is probably a little bit more important. I'm interested in perspectives. I want to see glimpses of the world from different lenses than I'm used to. Conversation is a big part of that.

...And don't judge me for being a Dale Carnegie fan. I don't care what anyone says- How to Make Friends and Influence People changed my LIFE. Read it. It will open your EYES.

Of course I sound insane. If you've known me long enough, you know I only pretend to have sense. :D

No comments: